One way to recruit and retain good staff is to offer flexible working. Flexible in terms of hours and location.
Many people are uncertain how to make the change to remote working and struggling to recruit high calibre people. At Hudson Accountants we offered flexibility over hours and, to a lesser extent, location but Minerva Accountants is fully remote. So how do we do it?
Cloud software is a necessity but the less obvious key is to have good communication.
1. We use a shared inbox. As long as you use the firstname.lastname@example.org email address anybody can pick up the query or task even if the regular CAM (client account manager) is off. If it will wait until their return we use coloured flags to allocate the emails to a particular person. As well as ensuring that the best person can help with your enquiry it also reduces our digital footprint.
2. Emails are also logged by Accountancy Manager so that they are available to the whole team. We can each follow conversations. For this reason we prefer emails but notes are added of any telephone conversations.
3. We use a central receptionist to answer and allocate all telephone calls. We use VOIP (voice over internet protocol) and Webex phones to enable remote working.
4. We have a brief online call at 9am each morning to discuss what everybody is working on and if they need somebody else to do something to help them.
5. We meet up (in person if possible) once a quarter to review the results of the last quarter, plan our next three months’ targets, and spend a little time chatting.
Do you offer flexible working?