… One bite at a time. Or so the saying goes.
How do you complete a big project? One step at a time.
Whether completing a tax return, growing your business or constructing your dream house the steps are pretty much the same.
- Decide what the finished thing will look like and when.
- Work out the steps that are needed to get there
- Put the steps in order of what has to be done first and what can be done in parallel. Some steps will be dependent on others. Eg You can’t put windows into your house until you’ve built the walls.
- This is you project plan and can be mapped on software or just a simple checklist.
- Break each step down into bite sized pieces. I like to tie this into the Pomodoro 25minute cycles* but this isn’t always appropriate. Eg writing my books I can do about 2 hours at a time straight off (if I’ve already done the research) so it’s better without interruptions.
- Work out what resources you need for each step. eg You need all the paperwork etc before starting a tax return and you may want a coach or mentor to help grow your business.
- Now that you have the steps and resources add some timings; working back from the final deadline.
- Start. Don’t just dream but take action.
*For more on Pomodoro technique see Pomodoro Technique – Hudson Business Advice