There is a skills shortage in most industries at the moment, so it is more important than ever to look after your team.
Ways that you can help your people to enjoy working with you
- Salary – this is an obvious one, but people rarely leave just for salary
- Flexible working – what hours would suit them? Do they really have to work full time office hours?
- Remote or hybrid working – where would they like to work? With modern technology do they have to travel to a single location to do their work?
- Workplace – if your team do come into a central workplace how can you make it nicer?
- Listen – do your team feel able to talk to you? Do you operate annual (or more frequent) appraisals?
- Training – this can be a great way to invest in your team to do their current job better or even to take on more responsibility
- Promotion – can you offer career progression for your team? It’s not always possible in small businesses but worth trying to expand their roles if possible
- Gifts – you can give your staff small gifts and experiences (but not cash or similar vouchers) for up to £50 six times per year and claim the tax on these. (Do check the full details of what you can and can’t provide)
- Entertaining – you can provide entertaining of up to £150pa as a business expense but any more than this and you pay tax on the full amount.
Any other ways that you look after your team?